This recipe for Crunchy Black Rice with Green Vegetables and Brazil Nut Milk is courtesy of Alex Atala of D.O.M in São Paulo, Brazil.
- 200 g of black rice
- 1 litter of vegetable stock
- 1 g of saffron
- 100 ml of white wine
- 50 g of minced onion
- 5 g of minced garlic
- 50 ml of olive oil
- Black pepper
- Sweat the onion in the olive oil. Add the rice and the white wine.
- After the wine has boiled away, add the vegetable stock gradually and the saffron and cook for about 30 minutes or until is cooked al dente.
- In a frying pan with olive oil put the garlic and sauté. Add the rice and fry until it becomes crispy.
Brazil nut milk:
- 100 g of Brazil nut
- 300 ml of water
- Blend the brazil nut with the water in a blender.
- Strain off with a thin chinois.
- Season with a little bit of salt and reserve.
- 8 units of aspargus
- 1 green Bell pepper
- 100 g of snow pea
- 100 g of leek (only the white part)
- 100 g of broccoli
- 50 g of celery
- 50 g of scallion
- Cut the leeks around 5 cm and then split each section down the middle.
- Cut the green bell pepper in to diamond shapes.
- Clean the asparagus and cut it around 5 cm
- Slice the snow pea in to 1 cm strips.
- In a hot sauce pan with olive oil lightly toast the leek, green bell pepper, asparagus and the snow pea. Reserve.
- Blanch the broccolis and sauté with a little bit of olive oil. Reserve.
- Open the scallion in the middle and sliced it around 0,2 mm.
- Sliced the celery with a mandolin. They should be around 0,2 mm of thickness.
- Put them in a bowl with water and ice, so they are slightly curled.
- On a flat dish, arrange the black rice in the middle and the vegetables on the top of the rice.
- Add the brazil nut milk around the rice.
D.O.M., currently ranked 7th on the San Pellegrino & Acqua Panna World’s 50 Best Restaurants list, is located at 549 Rua Barão de Capanema, in São Paulo, Brazil.