Standard sized lentils take forever to cook, but beluga lentils are small and cook in less than an hour. A pot of this quick and easy soup could feed you for a week, leaving more time for fun and cheer.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small-medium onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped or minced
- 1 quart vegetable stock (we use kitchen basics or fresh direct brand)
- 1 1/2 cups beluga lentils (amazon carries them, as does kalustians)
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 medium yukon potatoes, cubed
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large stock pot over high heat, drizzle olive oil in pan and saute onions and garlic for 4-5 minutes. Add everything else and cook over medium heat for 45-60 minutes. You could also bring it to a boil then stick it in the Wonder Bag and leave it for a few hours. Taste it often and adjust your seasonings and water level (we ended up adding a little more water to the pot).