Served with a green salad, this meal is not to be missed! Garden tomatoes and fresh corn are superstars of the summer plate, and this dish blends their flavors with a creamy, herbacious base. Served in a blended pie crust that gives your body the protein it needs, its a perfect dish for Meatless Monday. Or any other day of the week!
- 2 cups flour blend (see below)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 stick (6 tbsp) cold unsalted butter, cubed, plus 2 tsp melted butter
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 3/4 pounds tomatoes
- 3 ears of corn, sliced off cob
- 1 tbsp. basil, minced
- 1 tbsp. thyme, minced
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups grated cheese (mozzarella and cheddar)
We used a blend of Cinque e Cinque chick pea flour from Lucini Italia, which we mentioned in last week’s recipe with traditional flour for our crust to add protein content and reduce empty calorie load. Granted we aren’t concerned with fat content in this recipe, but to make it a complete meal, we suggest experimenting with flour mixtures that offer a little more than enriched white flour.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and 3/4 tsp salt in a bowl, then blend in cold butter (3/4 stick) with your fingertips or a pastry blender until it resembles coarse meal. Add milk, stirring until mixture just forms a dough, then gather into a ball.
- Flour the counter or another work surface, and divide dough in half and roll out pie crusts. Gently lift into a lightly buttered 9-inch pie pan. Secure crust and trim edges as desired. Fold top half and place in the fridge.
- Once you get through this step, go ahead and preheat oven to 400°F, and ensure that the rack is in the middle.
- Slice a one-inch X in bottom of each tomato and blanch in a large pot of boiling water 10-15 seconds. Immediately transfer to an ice bath to cool. Peel tomatoes, then slice and remove seeds (you just want the fleshy part). Arrange half of tomatoes in crust, overlapping, and sprinkle with half of corn, one half of basil and thyme, 1/4 cup onion, 1/2 tsp salt, pepper and one cup of grated cheese. Repeat layering with remaining tomatoes, corn, basil, chives, salt, and pepper. Whisk together mayonnaise and lemon juice and pour over filling. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and cover with top pie crust.
- Pinch edges to seal. Cut 4 steam vents in top and brush with melted butters. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until pie is golden. Cool on a rack for about 20 minutes before serving.